August 4, 2011

CD review: "Little Waves" by Glass Audrey

Glass Audrey vocalist Meganne Stepka featured at a Poet's Haven event in 2009.  Since then, I've tried to catch as many of her performances as possible.  (In other words, yes, I am a fan.)  Now at last, she and partner Michael Roberts have completed Glass Audrey's first full length album!

In the past I have described Glass Audrey's sound as like Sarah McLachlan doing vocals for Pearl Jam.  I hereby retract that statement.  The complex lyrics and musical styling is much more akin to "Boys for Pele" era Tori Amos, with hints of influence from Siouxie and the Banshees, Heart, The Pretenders, and The Cure.  Each track takes the listener on an emotional journey, an auditory rollercoaster ride.

The one and only negative thing I can say about this album is that a few of the tracks use too much echo on the vocals.  Meganne's voice is well suited to a raw, unfiltered sound, and the studio effects layered over her voice end up covering the nuances one hears in her live performances.

All said, the album gets my highest recommendation.  But don't just take my word for it, listen to it yourself on Glass Audrey's Bandcamp page and then order the full album download:
http://music.glassaudrey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment